1) Two of my favorite pieces of concrete garden decor were stolen off of my front porch. Boo!
2) I watched Mona the Cat flourish after the fence went into the back garden.
3) Yes, you heard me correctly, a fence went into the back garden.
4) I learned on the 4th of July that the pink blossoms of the Feijoa sellowiana taste a lot like fruity marshmallows. Yum.
5) Seeds I’d tossed out into the garden finally bloomed. I was elated to see this Meconopsis cambrica ‘Flore Pleno’. Well hello there gorgeous!6) The Garden Bloggers Fling went down in Portland and it was great to spend time with old and new friends. Although I was still exhausted from back surgery, I had a wonderful time. (Seen here on the far left is Laura of Gravy Lessons and on the right is Jennifer of Rainy Day Gardener.
7) It was a blast to jump on my bike to attend the first annual Montavilla Gardens Tour in the next neighborhood over from mine.
8) While attending a monthly meetup group for Italian language speakers my husband and I were pleased to discover this fantastic giardinetto.
9) I also found a lot of peace and comfort is this slightly more formal edible garden designed by the garden designer and author Vanessa Gardner Nagel. (She blogs over at Garden Chirps.)
10) Recently I’ve been acting as a caregiver to my eldest cat, Macavity. She’s had a rough time these past few weeks.
11) Filming a brief segment on cooking cardoons for the local show Garden Time was a blast. I’d never dreamed of doing anything like that and there will be more on that experience here soon. (The piece is set to air on October 4th.)
12) Best Espelette pepper harvest ever.
Now bring on my Pacific Northwest rain! I’m ready for it to pour and my skin is dry, thirsty, and tired.
Hope you had a great summer too!
3 thoughts on “A Dozen Garden Moments from the Summer of 2014”
Sounds like a good summer to me! Wasn’t the rain today glorious?
It was amazing! Last night in bed I felt so calm as I listened to the rain on the roof. The only thing better is the sound of crashing waves at the beach!
One of these days I’m going to cook some of my Cardoon , if it gets any bigger I’ll have to to something .